Thursday 2 April 2009

Socca to me

Now that we are all poor again, it might be a good time for us foodies to look at cheap, tasty and traditional food. Nothing I have seen recently hits the spot better than a snack I had recently in Nice. This was socca, a crispy pancake made of chickpea flour and olive oil. A portion of socca filled me for my lunch, and in that far-from-cheap city, it set me back 2.50 Euro!

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to develop here in place of having to choose between exorbitant and fattening panini or filled baguettes on one hand, or lifeless hang sangwiches on the other. How about asking Trevor Sargent to run a competition to develop the Irish answer to socca?

Here is a link to the Wikipedia description of socca, which seems to be as good as any:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socca

No comments: